Saturday, January 8, 2011

The Nukie Fairy

The "Nukie Fairy" came to our house last night and exchanged Maaike's Nuk for a present, and a lovely note. It actually wasn't by my choice, although I'm not upset to see it go. The Nukie Fairy was an idea I got from a friend, and something I've been procrastinating in dealing with. After a few friends had mentioned they were getting rid of their kid's pacifiers, Maaike & I were having a chat about it when she decided, out of the blue, that last night was the night that she wanted to leave her Nukie for the Nukie Fairy. I explained that her Nuk would go to forever live with the Nukie Fairy and she would never see her again. She seemed to be okay with that, but I still gave her an "out". I told her that if, after she tried to get to sleep, she still wanted to exchange her Nuk for a present from the Nukie Fairy, all she had to do was leave her Nuk under her pillow and fall asleep without it. Well, wasn't I shocked when I went to check on her later that night: the Nuk was still under her pillow and she was fast asleep ...

And she has only mentioned it in passing once today ... didn't mention it at all at bed time tonight. I'm utterly surprised. I thought this was going to be the fight of my life. Funny how they surprise you just when you think you've got them all figured out ...

2 comments:

  1. WOW!!! Yay for Maaike! I am so proud of her...do you think she could talk with Gracie about not needing the Nuk/binkie. We tried one night earlier this week - wrote a letter to the Binkie Fairy which said "take 'em away", gathered up all 15+ binkies and discussed it a few times just before bed...and THEN she decided she wasn't ready. She's picked a favorite of the 15+ and is hanging on to it for dear life. So no...she's not ready! And I'm not going to push her - I'l gently keep encouraging and trying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so odd. Every time I think I'm going to have to "fight" over something, she barely bats an eyelash. But things I figured would come easy (potty stuff), we're still struggling with. They have to keep us guessing, I suppose! I think I'd rather be struggling with the Nukie Fairy, honestly!

    Sorry I missed your call this week. I meant to email you earlier as well but the week got away from me with all the party planning and such. We are usually home most afternoons so if you have some time one afternoon this week, let me know and I'll make sure I'm home. Around 1:30-ish our time is usually good as Maaike has a "little rest" (no more naps) with her video in her bed, and then I have free time. Or if Gracie wants to chat with Maaike, maybe we could Skype or something ...

    Look forward to chatting! xo

    ReplyDelete