Monday, October 15, 2012

LCIAI - Part III

Well, things are progressing along quite well here in the Ottawa Valley.  Although I'm still waking up with a swollen eye on my left side, it goes away shortly after I get up ... and I'm reassured by my surgeon that, although it's some sort of spinal fluid that's accumulating at the surgery site, it shouldn't cause me much concern ... unless, of course, it gets worse.  And it's not getting worse so I'm continuing on with my life.

I'm actually quite excited today because it's my first day on my own since my surgery 6.5 weeks ago!  I'm still not allowed to drive but hubby and I decided that, in order for me to maintain my sanity (and hopefully retain what self-confidence I have left), we would try having me at home by myself this week.  With Andrew's schedule making him available to come to my aid at a moment's notice, it just makes sense for us to try this.  All I can say to this is WOO-FRIKKEN-HOO!

Which brings me back to my husband.  My amazing and wonderful partner who has gone through hell and back over the last couple of months.  I can't imagine being in his position and watching the person he loves go through what I had to go through, let alone the anger and attitude that resulted from some of the post-surgery pain I suffered and directed at him.  I didn't even have any idea what a bear I was from the severe headaches that plagued me a few days after surgery.  He's a saint in my eyes and I will never be able to thank him enough. 

And those nurses that have to deal with people like me on a daily basis should also be lauded for their patience and understanding.  I honestly don't remember even half of what I did, heard or said in the days after surgery.  It's quite embarrassing and mortifying to realize what your body can do to protect you from pain.

I also have a say a special thanks to my parents and Andrew's Mom and step-father who have gone above and beyond to spend the last 6 weeks sharing time with me when I couldn't be alone -- helping me to clean my house, do my laundry and run errands around town that I was unable to do on my own.  I am truly blessed with all my family & friends.  I certainly couldn't have gotten through this without them.

There was a reason we ended up where we are and I'm so happy that everything has turned out the way it has.  Only 2 more weeks and we have a follow-up with Dr. S at the Civic.  Can't wait to see what he says and to bounce my two-page list of questions off of him.  Hm.  Maybe I should call his assistant and ask her for a 2 hour appointment???  :)

The moral of this "story"?  Always remember and never forget to be thankful and enjoy each and every day.  You never know what tomorrow will bring.  And appreciate those around you.  It's amazing to me how many people will rally in support of you in the time of need.

To all of those people, and you know who you are, thank you.  From the bottom of my heart.  xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment